Hospitalia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDirectoryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]   Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete] - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 6:14 pm

"There you are," Roderich said in a tone more suited for an accusation than a statement. "Give that to me and go sanitize your hands."

He took the sample from Francis, unwilling to wait for excuses or explanations, and lifted the colonoscope he had sitting nearby, checking to see that the pertinent valve was shut before carefully pipetting the sample into the instrument. That done, he glanced over to Francis to see if he'd really rubbed enough sanitizer onto his hands, and, determining that his hygiene was acceptable, handed the colonoscope to him.

"Take your time and make sure to reach the ileum," he advised. "The probability of the transplant working is higher if it's administered there."

With that, he took up standing behind Francis, set to alternately watch his movements and the camera screen mounted nearby while he performed the dirty work of the procedure.

Last edited by Roderich Edelstein on Sun May 15, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://amberspike-sama.livejournal.com
Francis Bonnefoy

Francis Bonnefoy

PostSubject: Re: Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]   Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete] - Page 2 EmptySun May 08, 2011 4:14 pm

It's pressurizing to have someone stare at you while you're washing your hands. It makes you recall the times in school when teachers reinforced each step in washing hands (back, wrist, between fingers, …) and actually made everyone line up to have a go at the process. And how the whole process was repeated again during the introductory nursing course. So understandably, being stared at by Dr Edelstein while he washed and sanitized his hands reminded Francis of those exact times.

To his relief, he seemed to have passed the doctor's hygiene standard test, as the doctor handed him a piece of odd-looking equipment. Though Francis had never used it before, he assumed, quite naturally (further elaborations should not be necessary), by looking at the shape of things, that the thin, flexible bit goes in (up your arse as one might say).

Francis recalled the doctor mentioning some kind of anesthesia process for the patient back the the office, which he thinks he can start to appreciate now. Because, it look like it's gonna be painful.
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]   Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete] - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Francis didn't start right away, which immediately made Roderich question his knowledge. He wasn't the type to be nervous about these things, after all--or at least he didn't seem to be. At any rate, Roderich wasn't sure if he could blame him, because he was new and according to numerous studies Roderich had read, medical training was still obnoxiously lax at many facilities. Perhaps he just hadn't used a version of a colonoscope this modern before.

Or then again, maybe it was nerves. Roderich recalled the first transplant he'd done of this type--it'd been a while since he'd last used one of the scopes and the gastroenterologist he'd been working with had been too busy fighting the idea of placing someone else's feces in his patient to bother helping him. The result had been a team of anesthetists, two nurses and various other curious staff members watching while he directed the scope himself, trying his hardest to keep his eyes on the screen instead of the audience and to stop his hands from shaking. It hadn't been much fun.

Feeling sympathetic, he managed a softer "here," bent and inserted the scope for Francis.

"You remember," he said in a tone he hoped was gentle, placing it back in Francis' hands and pointing at the small set of controls. "Push it forward until you reach a corner, then turn the end to the left or right with these so you can keep going without striking the wall. Again, take your time. There's no rush."
Back to top Go down
Francis Bonnefoy

Francis Bonnefoy

PostSubject: Re: Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]   Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete] - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Francis was rather (pleasantly) surprised at the doctor's gentle tone, at least it was gentle by the doctor's standards. He found himself thinking how nice it would be if this was the doctor's usually tone - he would be an extremely charming man in that case.

As the doctor handed the scope back into his hands, Francis got the impression that the doctor had expected him to have used the instrument before. He hasn't. Though it was probably not a great time to confess that now. Looking at the small set of controls on the instrument, Francis boldly took hold of it, following the way Dr Edelstein was holding the equipment. As he pushed the tube inward bit by bit, the image on the screen showed the path taken. Pressing on the controls Dr Edelstein pointed out causes a change in direction. He was beginning to get the hang of it.

Francis enjoys experimenting with new toys things after all.
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]   Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete] - Page 2 EmptyTue May 17, 2011 12:05 pm

Roderich watched as Francis directed the scope along, occasionally giving orders as he came too close to the wall of the colon or failed to turn enough. Overall, though, Francis did fine, and most of Roderich's remarks were superfluous.

When at last he started running out of tube, Roderich urged, "A little further. Just...yes. That'll do."

He opened the valve, letting the fecal solution escape through the end, drenching the portion of the small intestine ahead. Satisfied, he told Francis to pull the scope back, slowly as it was slightly more difficult than moving forward...but as it also entailed more or less making the same motions in reverse, Francis managed to get it out without significant mishap. The result was better than he'd expected of Francis after those few hesitant moments in the beginning--the nurse had earned a bit of respect from him, now.

"Just set it there on the tray," he said, taking a wipe and cleaning the patient's anal area before stepping aside to wash his hands again.

"Thanks," he told Francis, after the minute or two that took. "Hopefully he'll start recovering soon. A few more transplants may be required, but normally there's notable improvement after the first. Now, if you'd like to follow me, I do have a new admission I have to swab for STD testing...though I suppose you can go find work from another doctor if you wish."

Huh, he was feeling accomodating now, probably because this procedure did go off well. It wasn't like him. Perhaps he needed some more tea to wake up his customary matter-of-factness again...
Back to top Go down
Francis Bonnefoy

Francis Bonnefoy

PostSubject: Re: Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]   Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete] - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Things seemed to have went well for Francis this day. After clearing his gloves and washing his hands, Dr Edelstein informed him that he could either follow him (for more work!) or look for another doctor. This seems like the perfect chance to slip away: "Well, I guess I have to pay the administrations department a visit to sort out my pay. Thank you for being patient with me and for having to teach me so many things. If you'll excuse me,"

As he walked past the door, he couldn't resist turning back and adding, "I'm sorry I lied. The chocolates are from me. Hope your girlfriend doesn't mind!"

And with that he ran off.
Back to top Go down
Roderich Edelstein

Roderich Edelstein

PostSubject: Re: Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]   Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete] - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 5:15 pm

"You're wel--" he started, having expected Francis to take the opportunity to make his escape. The following remark killed the words in his throat, however.

"What?!" he exclaimed. Oh, he'd thought it might have been a prank on Francis' part, but the fact that he'd been able to suppose--"You--I don't--I don't know where you got that idea; I don't have a--!"

He caught his voice rising and hastily shut himself up, taking a deep breath through his nose and stiffening his posture out of habit. The anesthetists, who had been busy removing the patient's mask and disconnecting some of his IVs before rolling him out to a recovery room, were staring. Roderich shot them a look and they hastily turned away, not wanting to incite the doctor's criticism.

Roderich brought a hand to his face, pinching the bridge of his nose as though the figurative headache of Francis knowing something about his love life were bringing on a literal one. At least the man hadn't picked up any details, as far as he could guess. Though Roderich wouldn't put it past him to go looking for who the girlfriend in question was. He could only hope that Braelyn would be vague about the subject if Francis happened to speak to her.

Taking hold of the colonoscope cabinet, he wheeled it out of the room and down the hall to its proper place before heading off to the possible STD patient. It was always nice to have someone helping him, to take samples and save him the minute or two it took to walk to the lab, but he could handle this alone if he had to. He'd just have to accost another nurse for the other nasty, invasive stuff he'd have to attend to later that day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]   Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete] - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mission reconnoiter workplace [complete]
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2